top of page

63-Year-Old Man Dies Mid-Air After Blood Spews From Mouth and Nose on Lufthansa Flight to Germany

A harrowing incident unfolded aboard a Lufthansa flight from Thailand to Germany on Thursday, resulting in the tragic death of a 63-year-old German man. The unnamed passenger passed away in front of his wife after experiencing a distressing medical emergency that saw him expelling "litres of blood" from his mouth and nose mid-flight.

Eyewitnesses recounted the chilling moments leading up to the man's demise. Reports indicate that the individual, visibly unwell and exhibiting symptoms such as "cold sweats" and rapid breathing, boarded the flight to Munich in Bangkok shortly before midnight. According to Karin Missfelder, a fellow passenger on the flight, the situation quickly escalated into a state of panic as the man's condition worsened.

"It was absolute horror, everyone was screaming," Missfelder recalled, describing the chaotic scene onboard. Witnesses described how fellow passengers rushed to assist the ailing man, attempting to administer aid and comfort as he battled the alarming episode. Despite efforts from both passengers and flight attendants, the severity of the situation became evident as the man continued to hemorrhage, with blood reportedly splattering the interior walls of the aircraft.

For approximately thirty minutes, crew members endeavored to perform CPR in a desperate bid to save the passenger's life. However, it became tragically clear that their efforts were in vain. As the aircraft fell silent upon the captain's announcement of the passenger's passing, a somber atmosphere enveloped the cabin.

Following the devastating ordeal, the flight was redirected back to Thailand, with the deceased passenger's body being respectfully accommodated in the gallery of the plane. Amidst the grief and shock, passengers witnessed the heart-wrenching sight of the man's widow navigating customs alone, a poignant reminder of the human toll of the tragedy.

In hindsight, Missfelder expressed regret over not intervening more forcefully, citing her initial assumption that medical professionals were attending to the stricken passenger. Questions also arose regarding the decision to proceed with the flight despite the severity of the man's condition.

In response to inquiries, a spokesperson for Lufthansa confirmed the incident and expressed condolences to the family of the deceased. The airline assured that prompt first aid measures were undertaken, although regrettably, the passenger succumbed to his condition during the flight. Passengers faced further challenges upon landing, enduring a two-hour wait without guidance before being rerouted to Germany via Hong Kong.

The untimely death of the 63-year-old passenger serves as a sobering reminder of the unpredictable nature of air travel and the importance of swift, coordinated responses to medical emergencies in flight. As investigations into the incident continue, thoughts remain with the loved ones of the departed during this difficult time.

83 views0 comments


bottom of page