Japan has executed a 39-year-old man who had killed seven people in Tokyo in 2008 during a stabbing rampage.
His name is Tomohiro Kato had he has committed one of the most shocking mass murders in Tokyo's recent history. When he was 25, he drove a truck into a lunchtime crowd of pedestrians in the Akihabara shopping district and killed three people.
After killing three people, he stabbed a passerby with a dagger, killing four people and eight injured.
The police later caught him at the crime scene, and later on, he admitted his crimes during his trial period. He had mentioned he had been angered by online bullying. This mass killing shocked Japanese citizens, and questions about security were raised. Still, almost eight years after Karo was sentenced to death on Tuesday, the government confirmed that it had ordered his execution. Law Minister Yoshihisa Furukawa said in the press conference that "the case has been fully tried in the courts, and the court's conclusion was the death sentence… I have taken the greatest care possible in considering this case."
Kato was hanged in the Tokyo Detention Center. He had lost his challenge to commute the sentence in Japan's top court in 2015. Kato had told police at the time of arrest: "I came to Akihabara to kill people. It didn't matter who I'd kill."
Kato was hanged in the Tokyo Detention Centre. He lost his challenge to commute the sentence in Japan's top court in 2015.
Kato told police at the time of his arrest: "I came to Akihabara to kill people. It didn't matter who I'd kill."